Background and Key Objectives
The Uganda Military Engineering College (UMEC) is an Institute of Science and Technology of the Uganda Peoples’ Defence Forces (UPDF). It is located at Lugazi in Buikwe District, 42Km from Kampala on the Kampala – Jinja highway.
UMEC was commissioned by the Commander-in-Chief of Uganda Armed Forces, Gen Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, on 29 January 2009 at Magamaga in Mayuge District. When Ministry of Defence purchased the defunct Lugazi University premises, a section of the facility was allotted to UMEC and in October 2010 the college relocated to Lugazi cantonment. UMEC shares the Lugazi cantonment with UPDF Engineers Brigade, School of Communication and Information Technology (SOCIT) and the School of Information Tech and Office Management (SITOM).
The core objective of establishing UMEC was to progressively develop engineering, technology and any other scientific capabilities in the UPDF designed to facilitate its operations as well as contribute to national and regional strategic development.
- To impart Science and Technology knowledge and skills to UPDF officers and men, which are required by the UPDF to fulfill its constitutional mandate of preserving and defending the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Uganda.
- To ensure the effective stewardship of institutional resources to meet the demands of UPDF capacity building.
- To establish and maintain collaborations, accreditations affiliations with/from other educational institutions and organizations, both local and international/foreign, to pursue opportunities for advanced studies.
- To ensure recruitment and retention of highly qualified staff.
- To enhance and strengthen civil-military relationships.
- To equip UPDF officers and men with life-long knowledge and skills, useful for the UPDF and life after retirement.