Ministry of Defence & Veteran Affairs MoDVA
The overarching goal of the Ministry of Defence and Veteran Affairs is to achieve and sustain a safe and stable environment that fosters social cohesion and facilitates sustainable economic development. With this paramount objective in mind, the ministry diligently works towards ensuring the nation's security and the well-being of its citizens. It seeks to create an atmosphere of tranquility and harmony, safeguarding against external threats and internal disruptions. By effectively coordinating and implementing defence policies and strategies, the ministry endeavors to maintain a robust and capable armed forces.
Objectives of the Ministry
- Defend the sovereignty and territorial integrity of Uganda
- Build adequate and credible defence capacity to address external threats and in the medium term assist in maintaining internal security.
- Create a productive and self-sustaining force.
- Ensure adherence to and furtherance of international obligations.
- Ensure continuation and strengthening of the Defence force that has respect for Human Rights.
- Create military alliances to enhance regional security and stability.
- Maintain national cohesion.
- Promote co-operation with the East African countries, which share common political, economic, social and cultural values, and interests.
- Support regional and continental integration through the East African Community and African Union.
- Formulation of the Defence policy arising out of H.E the President’s declaration in his 2001 election manifesto to professionalize the UPDF.